In this guide: an overview of Appsee’s session replay functionality – including how we sample session replays, which roles can make session replay policy changes, and how to configure your primary session replay condition.
Appsee’s session replay conditions allow you to capture the videos or wireframe replays that are most important to you. Whether you’re using video recordings (iOS & Android) or wireframe replays (iOS only), the process for setting up conditions works the same way. Session replay conditions are specific to each application and to each platform, meaning you’ll set up a separate set of conditions for iOS and Android. This will give you the freedom to customize your conditions and prioritize sessions to be recorded based on your specific use case.
Default Session Replay Policy
When you first integrate an application with Appsee, your session replay policy will be configured with one condition as follows: 10% of your active users’ sessions will be visually tracked at the medium quality setting, and will be visually tracked only if the user had a WiFi connection during the session.
If you open the Advanced Settings tab, you’ll find a variety of secondary options. These settings apply to all session replays for the selected platform, and affect all session replay conditions.
Maximum Session Replays Tracked Per Day is set to Unlimited by default. Choose “Custom” to implement a daily limit to the number of session replays Appsee tracks.
Maximum Session Replay Duration is set to 600 seconds (10 minutes) by default. This means that after the first 10 minutes of visually tracking a single session, the visual tracking will automatically stop, while session tracking will continue. This limit can be changed, or removed entirely by selecting “Unlimited”. Keep in mind that choosing unlimited (or a high maximum duration) will result in larger session replay file sizes.
Using the Sensitive Data Collection tools, Appsee allows you block text fields and screens from session replays the dashboard – no coding required. Changes take effect immediately upon clicking “Save” and apply to all sessions from that point on.
Who Can Edit the Session Replay Policy
Account Owners & Admins have the ability to add, modify, & delete session replay conditions. Users with Viewer permissions are able to view conditions, but cannot modify them.
How Appsee’s Sampling Methodology Works
Appsee uses an intelligent “sticky sampling” algorithm to determine which users are visually tracked in your sampling ratio. This means that once a user is selected to be visually tracked with session replays, all of their sessions will have session replays – giving you a complete picture of their usage. If a user falls dormant, Appsee will select another user to track in their place, ensuring that you’re always visually tracking active users.
Now that you understand the basics, let’s discuss how to setup your primary session replay policy.
Configuring Your Primary Session Replay Condition
Appsee allows you to set up session replay conditions to hone in on the users you have analytical interest in. Unless you’re visually tracking 100% of your users with session replays, you’ll need to decide which conditions to create.
- The first condition you create should be your primary session replay policy, since it will provide you with consistent visibility into a group of your users. Start by using the selector to choose your desired sampling ratio & click “Save”.
Note: as a general rule, Appsee recommends visually tracking 20% of your users with session replays. This provides a sample size large enough to be representative of your user base as a whole.Note: any time the Tracked Users Sampling Ratio is changed, Appsee will select another pool of users to visually track. Users tracked under the previous ratio may no longer be visually tracked under the new ratio, so we recommend changing the sampling percentage infrequently. The visual tracking ratio will not change until you click “Save”, so if you accidentally move the percentage selector, just refresh the page.
Now that you’ve chosen the session replay ratio, let’s edit the details of your primary policy by selecting the edit icon.
Once opened, you’ll be presented with a variety of options:
- Leave the “Users to Track” setting on “Sampled Users (By Ratio)”, which will be based upon the Tracked Users Sampling Ratio you just adjusted. Next, select your Upload Policy, which determines what kind of connection a user must have in order for the session to be tracked with session replays.
There are 3 options:
- Track & Upload on WiFi Only: users must have an active WiFi connection at the beginning of the session, and throughout the session, or the session replay will not be uploaded.
- Track Always & Upload on WiFi Only: users’ sessions will always be tracked with session replays. Session replays will be uploaded immediately when the device is connected to WiFi, or stored on the device until it connects to WiFi again.
- Track & Upload Always: users’ sessions will always be tracked with session replays and will be uploaded via cellular data or WiFi, whichever is available first following the session’s recording.
Note: as a default configuration, Appsee recommends using setting #2 for your primary recording condition unless your users are frequently without WiFi connection for extended periods.